NOTE: This is all much more than is currently necessary. This is copied from when the site was dynamic. It is now 100% static, which means that a lot of this does not apply. This will be updated (hopefully) soon.
ItsNotGov.org is a pretty simple website. It aims to get people to collaborate to generate articles. We may also have a message board in the future to aid in collaboration, and perhaps some public profiles. Beyond an email address, personal information isn’t particularly important for these purposes.
- We don’t ask you for personal information unless we truly need it.
- We don’t share your personal information with anyone except to comply with the law, develop our products, or protect our rights.
- We don’t store personal information on our servers unless required for the on-going operation of one of our services.
If you have questions about deleting or correcting your personal data please contact us here.
Like most website operators, Owner collects non-personally-identifying information of the sort that web browsers and servers typically make available, such as the browser type, language preference, referring site, and the date and time of each visitor request. Owner’s purpose in collecting non-personally identifying information on this website is to better understand how Owner’s visitors use this website. From time to time, Owner may release non-personally-identifying information in the aggregate, e.g., by publishing a report on trends in the usage of this website.
Owner also collects potentially personally-identifying information like Internet Protocol (IP) addresses for visitors to this website. Owner only discloses visitor IP addresses under the same circumstances that he uses and discloses personally-identifying information as described below.
Gathering of Personally-Identifying Information
Certain visitors to this website choose to interact with Owner in ways that require Owner to gather personally-identifying information. The amount and type of information that Owner gathers depends on the nature of the interaction. For example, we ask visitors who sign up for an account on ItsNotGov.org to provide a username and email address. Those who engage in transactions with Owner – by purchasing merchandise, for example – are asked to provide additional information, including as necessary the personal and financial information required to process those transactions. In each case, Owner collects such information only insofar as is necessary or appropriate to fulfill the purpose of the visitor’s interaction with Owner. Owner does not disclose personally-identifying information other than as described below. And visitors can always refuse to supply personally-identifying information, with the caveat that it may prevent them from engaging in certain website-related activities.
Owner may collect statistics about the behavior of visitors to this website. For instance, Owner may monitor the most popular articles on the ItsNotGov.org site. Owner may display this information publicly or provide it to others. However, Owner does not disclose personally-identifying information other than as described below.
Protection of Certain Personally-Identifying Information
With the possible exception of third party services with their own privacy policies described below, Owner discloses potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information only to those of his employees, contractors and affiliated organizations that (i) need to know that information in order to process it on Owner’s behalf or to provide services available at this website, and (ii) that have agreed not to disclose it to others. Some of those employees, contractors and affiliated organizations may be located outside of your home country; by using this website, you consent to the transfer of such information to them. Owner will not rent or sell potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information to anyone. Other than to his employees, contractors and affiliated organizations, as described above, and third party services with their own privacy policies described below, Owner discloses potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information only in response to a subpoena, court order or other governmental request, or when Owner believes in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of Owner, third parties or the public at large. If you are a registered user of this website and have supplied your email address, Owner may occasionally send you an email to tell you about new features, solicit your feedback, or just keep you up to date with what’s going on with Owner and our products. If you send us a request (for example via a support email or via one of our feedback mechanisms), we reserve the right to publish it in order to help us clarify or respond to your request or to help us support other users. Owner takes all measures reasonably necessary to protect against the unauthorized access, use, alteration or destruction of potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information.
Owner may disclose potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information to the following third party services. Their use of such data is covered in each of their own policies:
- Heroku - Provides web hosting, database, and other services for ItsNotGov.org. As such, Heroku will have access to all data transmitted by you to ItsNotGov.org.
- Bugsnag - Is used for error reporting. This is relevant to any data that appears in an error report.
- Mailgun - Is used for handling certain incoming and outgoing email communication associated with this site and the ItsNotGov.org domain.
- Gmail for Google Apps - Is used for handling certain incoming and outgoing email communication, particularly manual correspondence, associated with this site and the ItsNotGov.org domain.
- Papertrail - Is used to store and search server logs generated by the site.
- Expedited SSL - Has access to all data in the Heroku instance, as a requirement of having an automatic SSL certificate updating feature.
- Google Analytics - Will have access to potentially personally identifying information such as IP address, browser version, language preferences, etc. We will not send personally identifying information such as email address (it is in fact prohibited by Google Analytics' own Terms of Service). However we make no claims about how Google may or may not correlate your use with personally identifying information already collected by Google. See here for details on how Google uses Analytics data.
Other Third Party Services
If Owner, or substantially all of his assets, were acquired, or in the unlikely event that Owner goes out of business or enters bankruptcy, user information would be one of the assets that is transferred or acquired by a third party. You acknowledge that such transfers may occur, and that any acquirer of Owner may continue to use your personal information as set forth in this policy.
All historical revisions of articles are stored on our servers, other than specific revisions which Owner may decide to delete (for certain violations of Terms of Service, for instance). Older revisions of articles may or may not be visible to users and non-user visitors at any given time, depending on when and if Owner decides to make them available as a feature.